Nicolas Ruflin is a software engineer in the Observability team and organiser of Elastic Meetups in Switzerland. He is passionate about automating everything through software and embraces the constancy of change in the field. When not pondering engineering problems, he enjoys doing all kinds of sports, particularly handball.
Building Distributed Systems in Distributed Teams
Building distributed systems is notoriously hard... building a distributed team, even more so. At Elastic — the company behind the open source tools Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats, and Logstash — everything is distributed; the company and our products. This talk dives into the details of how Elastic is thriving on its distributed model:
- How Elastic started to be distributed by design.
- What our shared values are and what we have learned as we progressed and grew to our current size.
- What the day of an Elastician can look like.
- What we are using in terms of tooling.
- How we hire and onboard new employees.